In-Aruba Travel Portal

Us older folk on Aruba

More
13 years 6 months ago #7582 by Youngheart
I have been visiting Aruba for many years and I think it's great that as I age the respect given to the older generation there is bestowed on me too! I also find the elders of Aruba to be much more active and positive than elsewhere, perhaps that's part of the relaxed island culture?

None

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 6 months ago #7583 by Travelwithgrace
Yes I know what you mean Youngheart. They seem to strike an excellent balance between respecting the knowledge and wisdom older people bring to the community and caring for them as individuals with different needs. I hope we can all take something of this away with us and apply it to our own culture.

None

More
13 years 6 months ago #7594 by ShannaT
Replied by ShannaT on topic RE:Us older folk on Aruba
It could be part of the culture in general as well as island life being a more old fashioned kind of place. It's another good reason to make enough money to retire there, although I know that isn't such an easy thing to do. I wonder if the focus on family values extends to those who are single too?

None

More
13 years 6 months ago #7623 by travelbug
Replied by travelbug on topic RE:Us older folk on Aruba
One of the reasons the elders of Aruba may be more active and positive is because of the respect shown to them and the way they are cared for. Just that alone would make you want to get out and do something and it would definitely help with the positive attitude.

None

More
13 years 6 months ago #7624 by Vionette
Replied by Vionette on topic RE:Us older folk on Aruba
I have found that cultures outside of the U.S. respect their elders much more than we do as a society. Aruba may be one of those places where they put their elders on a pedestal, as it should be. I think that is wonderful.

None

Time to create page: 0.419 seconds