In-Aruba Travel Portal

Freedom for kids on Aruba

More
13 years 6 months ago #7343 by Chipper
If you are taking your children to Aruba how old do they need to be before you let them go off alone? I was just a small child when I was there with my folks so it wasn't relevant. Now I'm making my first trip abroad without them and my Mom is back to acting like I'm five again!;)

None

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 6 months ago #7348 by horselover
If one was at least twelve, I would allow them to go somewhere nearby with a younger brother or sister. I always encourage my children to go in groups of two instead of alone. As they get older and get to know their way around more, I would give them more freedom to do things without their Dad and I.

None

More
13 years 6 months ago #7361 by tasha424
Maybe I am over protective but I would not let them go off until they are at least 15. I would also insist that they always travel in groups and that they have regular check ins with me.

None

More
13 years 6 months ago #7364 by BeachBunny
My parents used to let me run all over the place when I was very young, but times were different then. I would say 12 is a good age to start giving them some freedom.

None

More
13 years 6 months ago #7368 by romana
Replied by romana on topic RE:Freedom for kids on Aruba
I let my 15 and 16 year old go off on their own and they came back and told me that a server told them they could have alcohol if they wanted. Of course they said no because they would have been in big trouble. Just something to keep in mind.

None

More
13 years 6 months ago #7376 by ShannaT
Chipper, I think Moms worry about their kids forever, regardless of their age! Romana's story is a good example of why this is the case. Just reassure her that you are going to follow her advice and be sensible. It's easy to let common sense go out of the window when you are away from home.

None

Time to create page: 0.411 seconds