In-Aruba Travel Portal

oranjestad's name

More
14 years 5 months ago #3621 by lilibeth
oranjestad's name was created by lilibeth
do you know that the island does not share land boundaries with other countries? its coastline is only 68.5 kilometers and plus the fact that this island has no rivers! strange isn't it? and what i am curious about is its capital..Oranjestad..what is the meaning of its name?

None

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 months ago #3718 by Lowlander
Replied by Lowlander on topic RE:oranjestad's name
lilibeth wrote:

and what i am curious about is its capital.. Oranjestad..what is the meaning of its name?

The city is named after the first King Willem van Oranje-Nassau (William of Orange-Nassau) - the first heir to the Dutch House of Orange. The name was conferred on the city in the 1820s when interest in Aruba increased due to the discovery of (alluvial) gold deposits. (Wikipedia) :)

More
14 years 2 months ago #3770 by Steve
Replied by Steve on topic RE:oranjestad's name
That is nice to know, thanks for giving the detailed explanation of the capital name. How about the name Aruba, is there also a connection to the Dutch monarchy?

Are there still gold to be mined in the island? 68.5 kilometers is not that long, I think I can hike that coastline for approximately 5 days.

None

More
14 years 2 months ago #3811 by Jordan
Replied by Jordan on topic RE:oranjestad's name
That's interesting! I didn't even know it belonged to the Dutch. I guess I should have with the name Oranjestad. Do the natives speak the Dutch language?

None

Time to create page: 0.482 seconds