In-Aruba Travel Portal

Aruba Oil Refinery?

More
13 years 9 months ago #6176 by Sunl0ver363
I'm not sure how I feel about this. An oil refinery is going to restart on Aruba. On the one hand, I don't want it to jeopardize the beautiful nature, but on the other hand its a restart and wasn't shut down for environmental fines, which means Aruba has been just fine with it working.

[url] www.aruba.com/news/business/3796/#more-3796 [/url]

None

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 9 months ago #6181 by 2muchfun
Replied by 2muchfun on topic RE:Aruba Oil Refinery?
I ordinarily wouldn't think twice, but after the spill in the American Gulf, this has me a little nervous. They say more accidents happen on start up and shut down than in regular oil pumping.

None

More
13 years 9 months ago #6190 by RoadsofGoldSun
I think it will probably be okay. It's the type of business that can support the economy and keep such a beautiful island going so that we can enjoy it.

None

More
13 years 9 months ago #6205 by Playn Jane
Replied by Playn Jane on topic RE:Aruba Oil Refinery?
It may also be giving employment opportunities to the locals and contractors who then spend and boost the economy there. I sometimes forget that while Aruba is my getaway playground there are many people who have it as 'home' every single day.

None

More
13 years 9 months ago #6213 by RoadsofGoldSun
I completely agree with you Playn Jane. Its not that I'm not environmentally minded, but how fair is it for me to consume oil and then tell someone they can't have it for my convenience. ;)

None

More
13 years 9 months ago #6218 by Sunl0ver363
Replied by Sunl0ver363 on topic RE:Aruba Oil Refinery?
:eek: I keep thinking of oil eaten bacteria when you wrote you consumed oil. :D

I do think its fair to consider economic opportunities for the people who live there, but tourism is a strong economic source and I (like to think) that we are more environmentally friendly.

None

Time to create page: 0.383 seconds