In-Aruba Travel Portal

Snake vs bird - Aruba crisis

More
13 years 5 months ago #7584 by Travelwithgrace
I was sad to read the recent news about the threat to Aruba's natural bird life from those pesky snakes! This site gives all the details and you can follow it to hear more about the measures being taken to protect the feathered friends we love.

There are some disturbing pictures halfway down the page, be warned.

None

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 5 months ago #7585 by Sunnyside
Wow, you would think that a bird had an advantage by being able to fly away! Never underestimate a boa, huh?

None

More
13 years 5 months ago #7587 by BeachBunny
I didn't look at the article because I can't handle disturbing pictures when it comes to animals. Thanks for the warning :)

So, the snakes are wiping out the birds? That's surprising. Are they just silently sneaking up on them? This is sad and I wish it was the other way around and the birds were taking out the snakes.

None

More
13 years 5 months ago #7606 by Ican
I really think there needs to be something done about education and the Boa Constrictor. Aruba is only one place where the boa is getting so invasive that it is destroying habitats. Florida and New Orleans also have this issue. Pet stores can sell these small Boa's and people buy them but then can not care for them because they got to big. Would you buy a baby horse because it is cute?

None

More
13 years 5 months ago #7609 by paddy
I agree. There are some small islands who have to hire people who's whole job is to inspect luggage and boats and make sure no lose snakes are getting in. If Aruba is not already doing this they need to start.

None

More
13 years 5 months ago #7614 by ShannaT
The inspection is a good idea and I think they may do that. Didn't the original rogue Boa get there a good while ago? (I guess there was a pair see-ing as the population has grown!) At one time I'd have said it was wrong to penalise one animal over another but now I realise the snake shouldn't be there, it's not nature's plan.

None

Time to create page: 0.547 seconds