In-Aruba Travel Portal

Aruba hit by Seaquake

More
14 years 3 months ago #3725 by Lowlander
ORANJESTAD — Aruba was startled by a seaquake with a force of 4.2 on the Richter scale at four-fourteen in the morning of january 13th. The epicenter was registered at a depth of 12.2 kilometers under sea level, at a distance of 41 kilometers south of Aruba and 4 kilometers north-east of Cabo San Roman on the peninsula of Paraguana, Venezuela.

The meteorological service of the Netherlands Antilles and Aruba had received this information from the Venezuelan seismological service Funvisis. The quake was felt in various parts of the island. People had taken to the streets, visited relatives and phoned the police. However, until now there had been no reports on material damage by the seaquake, according to police spokesperson Papito Comenencia, although Nieuwssite Awe24.com had reported on cracks in a few houses. According to witnesses, there had been a question of a fierce wind after the quake. Many of them had described the quake as the sensation and the sound of an approaching huge lorry. Others had declared they had not felt one, but two quakes.

Premier Mike Eman (AVP) had held a speech at five o’clock this morning on radio station Canal 90. He indicated the quake had awakened him and he had immediately contacted the Minister of Finance, Utilities, Communication and Energy, Mike de Meza (AVP). At that moment, Eman had not been certain whether the quake was related to the earthquake in Haiti yesterday afternoon or if it had come from the direction of Venezuela, which is often the case. The Premier had used the opportunity to express his sympathy on the radio to the Haitian residents of Aruba. He also announced that he had had contact with the Dutch consulate in Haiti as to how Aruba could help.

Seismologists in Venezuela register minor quakes in the Caribbean region on a daily basis, according to the meteorological service. The last notable reports for Aruba go back to September last year, when a quake of 6.4 on the Richter scale had been registered on Curaçao. A quake of 3.1 on the Richter scale had been registered in the eastern part of Aruba in May as well. On that same day, St. Maarten had registered a quake of four on the Richter scale.

Source: Amigoe

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 months ago #3729 by Steve
Replied by Steve on topic RE:Aruba hit by Seaquake
I'm just glad that Aruba was not affected much from the quake. I have phoned my friend immediately after I heard the news of Haiti earthquake because there might be some tidal waves that would hit Aruba due to the earthquake. He confirmed to me that they were fine though they have felt a relative shaking of the earth.

None

More
14 years 3 months ago #3731 by SunSeeker
Replied by SunSeeker on topic RE:Aruba hit by Seaquake
I wondered if these earthquakes are more common in the Caribbean. Some of these islands are so small, like Aruba. I should not think of the consequences if one really goes wrong sometime.

Just a day at the office...
Correct me if I'm wrong. :-)

More
14 years 2 months ago #3739 by cerin
Replied by cerin on topic RE:Aruba hit by Seaquake
The weather is something of a trickster now and then, I had a business call the other day and we were talking about a mutual friend who resides in the Dominican Republic (he and family are fine) since Tom tends to visit Aruba when he can get away from work.

None

More
14 years 2 months ago #3749 by chica
Replied by chica on topic RE:Aruba hit by Seaquake
Oh my! That's frightening! I've never been in a sea or earth quake. Is it as frightening as it sounds? I was wondering if these happen all of the time or is this a rare occurrence?

None

More
14 years 2 months ago #3766 by cerin
Replied by cerin on topic RE:Aruba hit by Seaquake
My better half has been in a few earth quakes (from CA) and says they are "fun" but I am sure he is just kidding. For me the closest thing I came to was a tornado and that was not really fun either. Blessing from many I know as well as donations are going out to help those in need right now.

None

Time to create page: 0.469 seconds