In-Aruba Travel Portal

How Long Has Aruba Been Settled?

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #4744 by WaterWings
How long has the island of Aruba been settled? I'm sure the tourist trade has increased in recent years but how long has Aruba actually been in existence as a Dutch province?

None

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #4754 by ThomianGyal
There is evidene of Indian settlement as early as 1,000 AD, but if you're referring to European settlement, it was found by the Spanish in 1499 and acquired by the Dutch in 1636, when settlement really took off again.

None

More
13 years 11 months ago #5166 by HelgaM
I didn't realize it was that long ago! I love learning about new places and I'm getting really excited about my first visit to Aruba. I've been doing a lot of research but what better way to learn than from people who live there or have visited.

None

More
13 years 11 months ago #5249 by kiro
Aruba was discovered in 1499 by a Spanish explorer named Alonso de Ojeda who claimed it for the country of Spain. It wasn't until 1954, however,that Aruba became part of the autonomous federation of the Netherlands Antilles.

None

More
13 years 10 months ago #5466 by funandsun
That's really cool. I didn't know that Aruba had been settled for that long or that it originally was a part of Spain. How did the Dutch come to acquire it?

None

Time to create page: 0.351 seconds