In-Aruba Travel Portal

Local Languages

More
13 years 10 months ago #5616 by Jolene
Local Languages was created by Jolene
I know that Aruba has been colonized by Spain and then by the Dutch. Do either of these languages still exist on the island after 100s of years?

None

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 9 months ago #5617 by danicatripz
Replied by danicatripz on topic RE:Local Languages
Of course, local people of Aruba are still using these languages. When I stayed in Aruba for almost a month, I heard more locals speaking Spanish language. I seldom heard French language. I've visited mountainous area of Aruba and they were using Papiamento language.

None

More
13 years 9 months ago #5628 by Ruby
Replied by Ruby on topic RE:Local Languages
I've never been there, but through some research I've found that alot of people are said to have speak Spanish, French, Dutch & English. Papiamento is also pretty common as well.

None

More
13 years 9 months ago #5631 by coconut
Replied by coconut on topic RE:Local Languages
I can only speak a little Spanish and its in bits and pieces. I have a feeling if I had to depend solely on my memory of Spanish in school, I would never accomplish anything on vacation.

None

More
13 years 9 months ago #5643 by Back2Aruba
Replied by Back2Aruba on topic RE:Local Languages
When we were there we went all over the island, and I only heard English. I was told that many people speak Spanish, since they are only 15 miles from Venezuela.

None

More
13 years 9 months ago #5644 by Back2Aruba
Replied by Back2Aruba on topic RE:Local Languages
Oh, also, although we didn't hear it while they we were told that many people speak papiamento. Which I believe is a combination of Spanish, Dutch and English.

None

Time to create page: 0.368 seconds