- Posts: 36
- Thank you received: 0
Forum archive: this forum contains conversations from 2008 to 2014 and is no longer active. Information may be outdated; see our travel guide for current information about where to stay, where to eat and things to do.
Local Languages
16 years 3 months ago #5616
by Jolene
None
Local Languages was created by Jolene
I know that Aruba has been colonized by Spain and then by the Dutch. Do either of these languages still exist on the island after 100s of years?
None
- danicatripz
- Offline
- User is blocked
-
- None
Less
More
- Posts: 24
- Thank you received: 0
16 years 3 months ago #5617
by danicatripz
None
Replied by danicatripz on topic RE:Local Languages
Of course, local people of Aruba are still using these languages. When I stayed in Aruba for almost a month, I heard more locals speaking Spanish language. I seldom heard French language. I've visited mountainous area of Aruba and they were using Papiamento language.
None
16 years 3 months ago #5628
by Ruby
None
Replied by Ruby on topic RE:Local Languages
I've never been there, but through some research I've found that alot of people are said to have speak Spanish, French, Dutch & English. Papiamento is also pretty common as well.
None
16 years 3 months ago #5631
by coconut
None
Replied by coconut on topic RE:Local Languages
I can only speak a little Spanish and its in bits and pieces. I have a feeling if I had to depend solely on my memory of Spanish in school, I would never accomplish anything on vacation.
None
- Back2Aruba
- Offline
- User is blocked
-
- None
Less
More
- Posts: 12
- Thank you received: 0
16 years 3 months ago #5643
by Back2Aruba
None
Replied by Back2Aruba on topic RE:Local Languages
When we were there we went all over the island, and I only heard English. I was told that many people speak Spanish, since they are only 15 miles from Venezuela.
None
- Back2Aruba
- Offline
- User is blocked
-
- None
Less
More
- Posts: 12
- Thank you received: 0
16 years 3 months ago #5644
by Back2Aruba
None
Replied by Back2Aruba on topic RE:Local Languages
Oh, also, although we didn't hear it while they we were told that many people speak papiamento. Which I believe is a combination of Spanish, Dutch and English.
None
Time to create page: 0.216 seconds