In-Aruba Travel Portal

Can you diet when vacationing on Aruba?

More
13 years 7 months ago #7492 by Playn Jane
I am taking my next trip with a good friend who is currently on a restricted diet. She has to have surgery next year and needs to lose some weight and reduce her blood pressure. I have no idea what it is going to be like being on Aruba with a weightwatcher!

None

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 7 months ago #7494 by zoie4
It is going to be a roller coaster. While Aruba does have many healthy choices it also has a great deal of temptation. I think the best thing to do is just stay supportive and provide support. Still I would not let the vacation and weight issue cause to much stress. You want to relax on vacation!

None

More
13 years 6 months ago #7500 by Travelwithgrace
I think your friend could do the obvious things like not add salt to food, for the blood pressure. As Zoie says there's lots of good fresh food available. Choosing fruit without cream or fish without sauce, plus reducing the alcohol intake should be enough to help.

None

More
13 years 6 months ago #7516 by Toby
When I saw the title of this thread I was thinking why would you want to diet on vacation, but then I saw that your friend is having surgery, so that makes sense.

I have found that most restaurants there are very willing to work with the dietary needs of their patrons. There is a lot of fresh fish there, lots of fruits and vegetables. If she stays away from the heavier sauces and the butter she should be fine. Actually, one of my favorite dishes in Aruba is grilled Mahi Mahi with mango salsa.

None

More
13 years 5 months ago #7688 by jason
hhhmmm... you know what i was thinking the same thing as Toby but then it all makes sense when your health is on the line. Well, since Aruba is a tropical island i bet fish is always on the menu. I would suggest try to avoid red meat, since its full of bad cholesterol and try leaner or white meat like fish, chicken and fresh vegetables and fruits. What do you think?

None

More
13 years 5 months ago #7703 by sweet gal
There's nothing to worry about if you travel with a diet-conscious friend because the Aruban offers a wide variety of fresh grilled, broiled and even fried fish. It will still be a healthy trip, right?

None

Time to create page: 0.363 seconds