In-Aruba Travel Portal

Oranjestad history

More
14 years 1 month ago #4575 by Kat
Oranjestad history was created by Kat
I was reading some Aruba history and I thought I'd share where Oranjestad got it's name. Apparently, it was initially called the Bay of Horses. Then, in the 1820s, it was given the name Oranjestad after King Willem van Orange-Nassau. Kind of funny that the king after which Aruba's capital was named also has the name of the capital of the Bahamas.

None

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 month ago #4595 by WaterWings
Replied by WaterWings on topic RE:Oranjestad history
That's interesting. Although the Bay of Horses sounds good too. I wonder why it was called that? Unless they are talking about the waves looking like horses.

None

More
14 years 1 month ago #4601 by sunandfun
Replied by sunandfun on topic RE:Oranjestad history
That is very interesting, the Bay of horses name. I like that a lot. I wonder why it had that name too?
That is pretty neat though that they named it after the King.
Thanks for sharing that information with us.

None

More
14 years 1 month ago #4602 by Kat
Replied by Kat on topic RE:Oranjestad history
I think the Bay of Horses name comes from the fact that they had, at one time, a pretty good horse trade there, but the horses were then exported to Curacao. I'm not sure why the horses were moved, but I seem to recall reading it somewhere.

None

More
14 years 1 month ago #4633 by WaterWings
Replied by WaterWings on topic RE:Oranjestad history
Thanks for the update! I love horses! I don't want to bring one home, but I would love to go horseback riding while I'm there. I wonder if they allow you to ride horses on the beaches? I have always wanted to do that!

None

More
14 years 1 month ago #4652 by offseason
Replied by offseason on topic RE:Oranjestad history
It's interesting, both the King's name and the Bay of Horses. I haven't found many cities or islands named after kings or heroes. Maybe the only popular city which is named after a great hero is Washington D.C.

None

Time to create page: 6.412 seconds