In-Aruba Travel Portal

Aruba Sea Jazz Festival

More
13 years 8 months ago #6784 by SunSeeker
Aruba Sea Jazz Festival Highlights

Friday, October 8 and Saturday, October 9, 2010 are the dates for this year's Aruba Sea Jazz Festival. It continues in a tradition started by the Aruba Jazz and Latin Music Festival, which took place from 1986 to 2001. For two nights, guests will be treated to an eclectic and impressive group of musicians. Past headliners for the event include Michel Camillo. He is an acclaimed pianist and composer who has been honored with Grammy and Emmy awards. Other musicians and groups who have appeared are Randal Corsen, Antonio Bello Blues, Delbert Bernabela, JEMM and Robert Jeandor and the Solo Banda Show.

This year's festival promises to be very exciting. What should you expect? Highlighted below are two of this year's star performers, Marcus Miller and Isaac Delgado.

Fans are eagerly anticipating a live show from Marcus Miller. He won the 2001 Grammy Award for the Best Contemporary Jazz Album. Born in Brooklyn in 1959, Miller was raised in Jamaica, New York. Surrounded by a musical family, Miller got an early start in playing instruments. He is, in fact, related to Wynton Kelly, a jazz pianist for Miles Davis. Miller played a range of instruments by the time he was thirteen, including bass guitar, piano and clarinet. He also began to explore composing.

Miller has worked with an impressive range of musicians including Grover Washington Jr. Bob James, David Sanborn, Roberta Flack and Aretha Franklin. As a bass guitarist, he has played on recordings for Frank Sinatra, Bryan Ferry, Elton John, Maria Carey, LL Cool J, Joe Sample, Bill Withers and McCoy Tyner. In the early eighties, Miller toured for two years with Miles Davis.

With an outstanding musical ear, it is no surprise that Miller is not only a musician but a producer. The album, Voyeur, by David Sanborn, was Miller's first big step into producing. It was a major critical success, earning Sanborn a Grammy. Other albums with Sanborn would follow, including Close Up, Up Front and Inside, which also received a Grammy.

Fans are also looking forward to performances by Isaac Delgado. Delgado began performing professionally in 1983 with the Orquestra de Pancho Alonso. The orchestra provided Delgaodos' first major recording and touring experience. In 1987, Delgado became a vocalist for Galaxia and released another album. By 1988, Delgado was the lead vocalist for NG La Banda. The band's three albums came out in 1990 and 1991. During these years, the band received the prestigious EGREM prize.

In 1991, Delgado started his own band. The band's first album, Dando La Hora, received an EGREM Prize in 1992. The following album, Con Ganas, received two EGREM prizes in 1993.

These are just a sample of the line up at the Aruba Sea Jazz Festival in 2010. It is easy to see that this big musical event has a lot to offer. Certainly, besides the music, guests will enjoy the beautiful weather and setting of Aruba. Best of all, the Sea Jazz Festival is affordably priced. Early bird tickets are $20 for one night and $35.00 for two nights. These discounted prices are available to the public until September 30.

Just a day at the office...
Correct me if I'm wrong. :-)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 8 months ago #6793 by Sunnyside
Oh, wow, I really hate having to miss this one. Marcus Miller is a great performer! If you are going to be in Aruba during this time, you can't miss it!

None

More
13 years 8 months ago #6794 by Kat
Replied by Kat on topic RE:Aruba Sea Jazz Festival
I wish I could be there for this one. Then again, I wish I could be in Aruba all the time :) It would be really nice to see Marcus Miller in such a wonderful setting.

None

More
13 years 4 months ago #7737 by britney
Replied by britney on topic RE:Aruba Sea Jazz Festival
Jazz music is really nice. Try to catch the next Caribbean Sea Jazz Festival that will warm up Aruba on the 7th and 8th day of October 2011. Are you excited to witness this event?

None

Time to create page: 0.381 seconds