In-Aruba Travel Portal

Bon Bini Festival Aruba

More
13 years 8 months ago #6785 by SunSeeker
Discovering Culture And The Bon Bini Festival Aruba

Rather than spend a few days soaking up the sun and sipping cocktails by the pool, many tourists prefer to immerse themselves in the local life and culture when visiting a new area. Really getting under the skin of a new town or even a new country, can be very difficult without living and working there for a considerable period of time. For a holiday maker this can be a difficult balancing act, which can be helped greatly by local events like the bon bini festival Aruba.

The island itself is a very popular destination for people from all over the world, as it offers such a warm climate and an even warmer welcome. There are plenty of activities to choose from, with everywhere offering a laid back yet energetic feel. Carnival type gathering are very much a part of the tapestry of local life, with several annual as well as weekly festivals to choose from. This allows plenty of opportunity for everyone to take part in and enjoy the festivities, even if only visiting for a short period of time.

Oranjestad is the largest city on the island, but certainly not overwhelming to newcomers. The beautiful Dutch colonial architecture in a rainbow of soft colours is rivalled only by the stunning white sandy beaches close by. One of the most impressive buildings is Fort Zoutman. It is the oldest on the island, and is now the home of the Historical Museum of Aruba. The collection there is popular with both locals and tourists alike, showing ancient objects from prehistory all the way up to more recent history and Dutch colonial artefacts.

The courtyard of the fort plays host to the bon bini festival on a weekly basis, with a relaxed and informal air. It can be a fun way to learn over the evening about the complex local traditions.

The island spirit is on full display, especially in the energetic routines performed by local dance groups. Those wanting to view the action are offered seats, but some people just can't help tapping their feet to the infectious beat and enthusiasm of all those taking part. The costumes only add to the vibrancy and excitement of the event.

Music played on steel drums add to the exotic feel, with other groups, soloists and even an organ grinder added to the mix. Local arts and crafts are displayed for viewing as well as buying, giving visitors an excellent opportunity for browsing or buying authentic gifts and souvenirs.

Traditional food and drinks are available to buy throughout the festival, prepared by local people and catering for a wide variety of tastes. Although this is not included in the entry fee, most dishes are very reasonably priced. This allows people to try lots of different styles of food not usually available to tourists. Many people consider food to be a very important factor in discovering culture, as well as often introducing brand new ingredients and cooking methods to people who haven't visited the area before.

The entertainment continues with acts based on Aruban folklore. This adds another dimension to the evening, helping the understanding of the transition of the local people through the generations.

Events such as the bon bini festival Aruba can have a large effect on tourists willing to learn a little more about the host country. Whilst it may only last a couple of hours into the evening, it is an opportunity even for those with very little time on the island to delve slightly more deeply into every aspect of local life. It also fulfills its role as great entertainment, packing lots of energy and excitement into a short period of time.

Just a day at the office...
Correct me if I'm wrong. :-)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 8 months ago #6791 by Sunnyside
When is the Bon Bini Festival? I may be planning another trip to Aruba in October. I hope I can find a similar festival going on then.

None

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #8715 by lois19
Replied by lois19 on topic RE:Bon Bini Festival Aruba
I have read much about Bon bini festival and I am really excited to watch for it in Aruba when we get there. I adore the colorful costumes and the dances too. I can’t wait to go to Aruba. Have you personally watched this Bon bini festival?

None

Time to create page: 0.212 seconds