In-Aruba Travel Portal

Antilla Wreck

More
14 years 8 months ago #1588 by Bigmac
Replied by Bigmac on topic RE:Antilla Wreck
I hadn't realised it was sunk on purpose actually. Just did a little bit of research on it, and apparently the captain of the Antilla sank her ratehr than surrender her to the Allies. Dedicated captain.
Well , it definitely sounds worth doing from what you guys (sunseeker and Crystal) have said. You mentioned the Janes Sea wreck? Could you tell me what it is? Not heard of it!

None

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 8 months ago #1589 by nakchura
Replied by nakchura on topic RE:Antilla Wreck
SunSeeker wrote:

I have visit the Antilla once. It is huge. We had beautiful weather and the water was very clear. We made a dive through the hold of the ship. The last time I was visiting Aruba I heard that this ship was partly collapse and that is was not safe to dive through the cargo area. But still there are enough spots at this german freighter that are worth the dive.

If you want to dive at Aruba I recommend the sonesta airplanes and the Jane Sea wreck. For this dives you need a experience diver to go with you. Jads Diving Center, Aqua Windies, Mermaid Divers and Red Sails have good dive instructors.
I always dive with Fred. He is a local on the Island and has lots of experience.

A dive at baby beach is also worth the dive. No wreck over there but it is just to spectacular to miss this dive site. Enter the water at Baby Beach, swim out for 200 or 300 meters, go down, turn right, and stop at the big telephone cable that is under the water. Follow this telephone cable to the shore. Just beautiful.
Jads Diving Center is located at this dive site. They will be glad to help you.

Wow! It seems you really had a great time there. Thank you so much for the tip about just diving by the beach. I'll have kids with me so I guess the safer the better.

None

More
14 years 8 months ago #1590 by nakchura
crystal wrote:

Everyone is curious to know more about Antilla Wreck. I've visited the place twice together with my friends. During the World war II, Antilla sank off. If you love adventures underwater, Antilla is such a perfect spot to see tropical fish and coral reefs. You'll appreciate the beauty of it if you dive on daytime.

Its just sad that the wreck isn't that safe to go these days. Most of its parts are really damaged and could fall any time so diving in it these days would really put some risks.

None

More
14 years 8 months ago #1591 by nakchura
Bigmac wrote:

I hadn't realised it was sunk on purpose actually. Just did a little bit of research on it, and apparently the captain of the Antilla sank her ratehr than surrender her to the Allies. Dedicated captain.
Well , it definitely sounds worth doing from what you guys (sunseeker and Crystal) have said. You mentioned the Janes Sea wreck? Could you tell me what it is? Not heard of it!

Really Bigmac? Wow! I didn't even know about the captain sinking his own ship at all. Thanks for sharing it here. That must have been some hell of a captain.

None

More
14 years 8 months ago #1608 by PappaG133
Replied by PappaG133 on topic RE:Antilla Wreck
I didnt even realize you could scuba so easily to the wreck. I will have to check it out the next time I visit. My friends wouldnt scuba last time unfortunately

None

More
14 years 7 months ago #1636 by SunSeeker
Replied by SunSeeker on topic RE:Antilla Wreck
Sorry, no picture of the Antilla. But a very nice picture taken at the Sonesta Airplane dive site. :)

http://www.in-aruba.com/gallery/displayimage.php?imageid=12

To see more of my pictures go here

Just a day at the office...
Correct me if I'm wrong. :-)

Time to create page: 0.324 seconds