In-Aruba Travel Portal

Aruba languages?

More
14 years 8 months ago #2507 by bethoven
Replied by bethoven on topic RE:Aruba languages?
habagat wrote:

That was interesting, Bethoven. It sounds unique and I would like to try it also.:D Were you able to speak the language in days? How would you say "thank you" and "good morning" in Papiamento?

"Bon dia" and "Danki". The first one was good morning and the other one is thank you. These are some basic Papiamento. It took me weeks or rather months to learn the language. Do you speak other language?:)

None

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 8 months ago #2530 by hirami
Replied by hirami on topic RE:Aruba languages?
bethoven wrote:

"Bon dia" and "Danki". The first one was good morning and the other one is thank you. These are some basic Papiamento. It took me weeks or rather months to learn the language. Do you speak other language?:)

That doesn't sound very hard at all! I can hear the similarities between Papiamento and other languages. For example, "bon dia" sounds and looks like the "bom dia" in Portuguese. "Danki" reminds me of "Danke." I had heard that Papiamento was influenced by a lot of different languages.

None

More
14 years 8 months ago #2589 by habagat
Replied by habagat on topic RE:Aruba languages?
hirami wrote:

That doesn't sound very hard at all! I can hear the similarities between Papiamento and other languages. For example, "bon dia" sounds and looks like the "bom dia" in Portuguese. "Danki" reminds me of "Danke." I had heard that Papiamento was influenced by a lot of different languages.

Wow! I cannot even relate to these words. If you go there, their language wouldn't be something strange to you. Do you know how to speak Dutch and Spanish? It seems that you know some of its words.

None

More
14 years 8 months ago #2602 by bethoven
Replied by bethoven on topic RE:Aruba languages?
They are just actually basic, hirami.. I guess, we could also speak English in Aruba? Do you think they could relate with this language?:D

None

More
14 years 8 months ago #2623 by hirami
Replied by hirami on topic RE:Aruba languages?
habagat wrote:

Wow! I cannot even relate to these words. If you go there, their language wouldn't be something strange to you. Do you know how to speak Dutch and Spanish? It seems that you know some of its words.

I don't speak Dutch, but I do understand some Spanish. I'll try learning a few words of Dutch and Papiamento before I go there. I think if anyone knows any English, it's probably shop owners who have to interact with tourists all the time, officials/police, and the young people.

None

More
14 years 8 months ago #2648 by habagat
Replied by habagat on topic RE:Aruba languages?
hirami wrote:

I don't speak Dutch, but I do understand some Spanish. I'll try learning a few words of Dutch and Papiamento before I go there. I think if anyone knows any English, it's probably shop owners who have to interact with tourists all the time, officials/police, and the young people.

What would happen to the island if the people wouldn't have a common language? It will be quite difficult to sell products and most probably there would be less tourists. :rolleyes: English language really plays a very important role.

None

Time to create page: 0.244 seconds