In-Aruba Travel Portal

The official language on Aruba

More
13 years 7 months ago #7045 by Travelwithgrace
Has anyone ever tried to learn Papiamento, the native language of Arubans? Or perhaps you have picked up a few words and phrases? I know most people who live on Aruba are bilingual at the least but it is always nice to say a few words of a local language.

None

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 4 months ago #8011 by bethoven
Well, here are few Papiamento words to get by while you are in the island, you might able to win friends by exchanging pleasantries.

good morning
bon dia

how are you?
cón ta bai??

your island is beautiful
bo isla ta bunita

i'm quite sure if you are going to say this word with a good smile you will be able to make new friends in the island. will you agree?

None

More
13 years 4 months ago #8047 by trish
Travelwithgrace wrote:

Has anyone ever tried to learn Papiamento, the native language of Arubans? Or perhaps you have picked up a few words and phrases? I know most people who live on Aruba are bilingual at the least but it is always nice to say a few words of a local language.

Papiamento is actually a mixture of Spanish, Portuguese and Galician. Have you heard the song " La Isla Bunita"? It is a Spanish lullaby. I think Papiamento sounds like it.

None

More
13 years 3 months ago #8166 by britney
I already heard that song sang by Madonna. Some of the words are in Spanish. It means, a "beautiful island". So I think, it has something to do with Papiamento. Are you aware that a Spanish guitar was used to play this song?

None

Time to create page: 0.324 seconds