In-Aruba Travel Portal

Aruba Airport

More
14 years 1 month ago #3932 by SunSeeker
Aruba Airport was created by SunSeeker
A World-Class Airport, But Still Be Careful

Unless you are taking a private yacht, a luxury cruise or perhaps you are a stowaway on a cargo vessel, you will likely arrive to your Caribbean vacation through the Aruba airport. Although you will be excited to get your trip underway and will want to begin all the amazing activities Aruba has to offer, it's important to keep some things in mind when stepping foot into the airport of a new country. Traveling has never been more difficult and security-heavy. This means that the actual travel part of your trip, meaning going through airports and being on the plane, should be streamlined as much as possible to avoid unnecessary delays or problems that could be even worse.

The Aruba airport, more formally known as Queen Beatrix International Airport, serves nearly all airlines that fly internationally and can accommodate planes as large as a Boeing 747. Flights fly in and out of Aruba from and to countries all over the world. There are many hotels near the airport and surrounding areas. The island is only 21 miles long, so everywhere is relatively close to the airport.

When you exit the plane and walk out into the Queen Beatrix International Airport in Aruba you will notice that it is a state-of-the-art airport with all the elements of an airport you are used to. Not long ago, the airport was given a multi-million dollar renovation and facelift to bring it up to the standards people expect from an airport in a world-renowned resort island. If you have checked your bags, you can easily find the terminal in which you can retrieve them by looking out for the many signs in the Aruba airport . Once you have found your bags and are ready to head to your hotel, you must then find a taxi service to drive you there.

This is the point when many things can go wrong. There are many stories of travelers hiring what they thought was a legitimate taxi drivers, and being over charged, robbed or even murdered. It's important to make sure you know that you are hiring an accredited taxi driver when leaving the Aruba airport. Many will be wearing name badges with their pictures on them. That's a good way to tell if they are legitimate. Some taxis run on a meter, and some don't have meters. You will have to bargain before the ride with the drivers who don't have meters. It's acceptable to bargain the price down if you choose to.

Just a day at the office...
Correct me if I'm wrong. :-)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 month ago #3954 by Luke
Replied by Luke on topic RE:Aruba Airport
SunSeeker wrote:

There are many stories of travelers hiring what they thought was a legitimate taxi drivers, and being over charged, robbed or even murdered.

This is the part where I don't want to experience. I have been to some airports where the airport authority have a terminal for legitimate taxis so that travelers will be assured that the taxis they are riding are safe.

Why is it that there are still taxis that don't have meters? What is the average payment for a taxi that doesn't have a meter?

None

More
14 years 1 month ago #3962 by Kat
Replied by Kat on topic RE:Aruba Airport
A lot of the hotels and/or tour groups also offer shuttle service. I usually prefer to grab a taxi and get to where I'm going without having to wait for other people, but the shuttle services may be an option for anyone who is uncomfortable taking a taxi.

None

More
14 years 1 month ago #3988 by Jordan
Replied by Jordan on topic RE:Aruba Airport
That doesn't sound so good. I would rather be safe than sorry, I think I'll just stick with my group and stay safe. I don't mind being slow as long as it's safe.

None

More
14 years 1 month ago #4007 by offseason
Replied by offseason on topic RE:Aruba Airport
Luke wrote:

This is the part where I don't want to experience. I have been to some airports where the airport authority have a terminal for legitimate taxis so that travelers will be assured that the taxis they are riding are safe.

Why is it that there are still taxis that don't have meters? What is the average payment for a taxi that doesn't have a meter?

Yes I wonder about it also. Why are the non legitimate taxis allowed to operate in the airports? I can understand if they offer their service in other parts of the island, but an airport is the most important place as international visitors will often judge a country or state from its airport's condition.

None

More
14 years 1 month ago #4008 by Ginger
Replied by Ginger on topic RE:Aruba Airport
Kat wrote:

A lot of the hotels and/or tour groups also offer shuttle service. I usually prefer to grab a taxi and get to where I'm going without having to wait for other people, but the shuttle services may be an option for anyone who is uncomfortable taking a taxi.

I would probably take the shuttle if I knew for sure that it came from the hotel. A taxi may be quicker and more convenient, but what's a few extra minutes when you're talking about your personal safety. I'd rather waste a little time than possibly find myself in a bad situation.

None

Time to create page: 0.488 seconds