In-Aruba Travel Portal

Actions That Is Offensive To The Locals

More
14 years 4 days ago #4899 by sandboom
When you are in Aruba, do what Arubans do, I know the rule of thumb. I am not sure though if they have certain sort or actions, doing which you would considered offensive.

None

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 days ago #4917 by WaterWings
I'm sure they've seen a little of everything because they have been a tourist destination for quite some time. I would think they would be very tolerant by now.

None

More
14 years 2 days ago #4921 by offseason
That's a good point, Waterwings. Being one of the most visited tourist destinations, I am sure local people of Aruba have entertained and dealt with people coming different countries with different cultural backgrounds. It makes them more tolerant. If we happen to do something offensive to them, they may think that it's just our of our limited knowledge about their culture.

None

More
14 years 2 days ago #4928 by Luke
I created this question because of the old old TV commercial of FedEx. A man gave a thumbs up to a local bar in a country where he is visiting and all the people inside the bar gave a bad look at that man.

I think the locals in Aruba are the ones who are careful not to offend the tourists. I agree that they should be tolerable with the actions of the tourists.

None

More
14 years 2 days ago #4932 by islandhopper
Just don't be rude with everyone and don't take things too seriously. This is my motto when I go to different places where I don't know the culture. There are universal actions like smiling or frowning that everyone can understand.

None

More
13 years 10 months ago #5383 by BeachBum
I agree, facial expressions will tell a tale for themselves. If you really want to be safe, just don't use hand gestures, like "flipping the bird" or "thumbs up." Most of the locals are pretty laid back, so just don't act like a jerk and you should be fine. ;)

None

Time to create page: 0.412 seconds