In-Aruba Travel Portal

do i need a translator?

More
14 years 2 months ago #4046 by Ginger
Replied by Ginger on topic RE:do i need a translator?
With Aruba being such a tourist location, I would imagine the locals would feel it's necessary to pick up other languages. If the area where I live was a tourist spot, I'd certainly want to be able to say a few words in another language. Even if would just be to point someone in the right direction.

None

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 months ago #4088 by beachcomber
I have never found it necessary for an translator in Aruba. I travel for vacation only and, other than a thick accent at times, have never had trouble being understood or understanding what is being said.

None

More
14 years 2 months ago #4097 by Luke
Replied by Luke on topic RE:do i need a translator?
I guess that people in Aruba can speak basic English. They don't need to be fluent in English to express their thoughts. The only tourist that needs a translator are the ones who can't speak English or other languages that are spoken in Aruba.

None

More
14 years 2 months ago #4102 by travelbound
I feel you can travel anywhere in the world without a translator. Don't let a language barrier intimidate you and never underestimate the power of a smile. :D

None

More
14 years 2 months ago #4107 by Jordan
Replied by Jordan on topic RE:do i need a translator?
You can always get your point across by simple gestures even if they don't speak your language. I don't think it would be an hurdle anywhere you choose to go.

None

More
14 years 2 months ago #4109 by Kat
Replied by Kat on topic RE:do i need a translator?
beachcomber wrote:

I have never found it necessary for an translator in Aruba. I travel for vacation only and, other than a thick accent at times, have never had trouble being understood or understanding what is being said.

Agreed. I have been there many times and I have never come across someone I couldn't communicate with. Sometimes I do have to ask people to repeat themselves because of the accent, but I eventually get what they are saying. Aruba is a very comfortable place to visit for English speaking visitors.

None

Time to create page: 0.383 seconds